CERTIFICATE IN SCIENCE LABORATORY
This course is aimed at providing the trainee with knowledge and skills in science lab skills and their application i.e.
- Appreciate processing plant operation
- Use of biological tools, chemistry tools and physics tools correctly in techniques including understanding the routines of an industrial laboratory
- Observe safety measures in biological laboratory
- Prepare accurate laboratory reports as well as laboratory record work.
- Understanding plants and animals in terms of their care, breeding, diseases infecting them.
- Understanding the general ecological interrelationship of organisms
Trainee entering this course should have any of the following minimum requirements.
- Passed Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) with minimum grade of D+ (plus) and in addition a minimum grade of D+ (plus) in each of the following subjects: English, Mathematics, Biology or Biology Science, Chemistry or physical sciences.
- Passed a relevant craft course
- Any other equivalent qualifications approved by the Kenya National Examination Council
This course takes duration of four trimesters.
Kenya National Examination Council will offer external examinations
Internal examinations will be conducted by the institution
EXPECTED WORKING FIELDS
After satisfying the institution’s exam body as well as the Kenya National Exam Council that the student has passed through the relevant course units the student will find employment in one of the following areas:
- Medical research institutions
- Pharmaceutical industries
- Quality Assurance Institutions e.g. Kenya Bureau of Standards.
- Agricultural research institutions e.g. KARI, ICraf,/ILRI etc
- Institute of primate research – Microbiology/ immunology/Pharmacology & toxicology laboratories.
University/college/High school laboratories as a laboratory technologist.
NB: A certificate holder student may proceed to a diploma level in any of the following related courses.
- Diploma in Applied Biology
- Diploma in Analytical Chemistry
- Diploma in Medical Engineering
- After successfully completing the Diploma Level a trainee gets to join a degree course of your choice.