Message from the Librarian
TSMHS's Library fully identifies with the quality objectives of the college as outlined in its quality policy. The library is committed to empowering the college to achieve its mission of offering accessible quality training, research and innovation in order to produce leaders in the fields of Human Nutrition, Medical engineering, ICT, health sciences, social sciences and other applied sciences to suit the needs of a dynamic world by providing speedy and timely access to relevant, current and quality information resources for teaching, learning, research and innovation.
The library vision is to create an information system based on state of the art technology to promote scholarship. In order to deliver quality services that consistently meet and Endeavor to exceed the expectations of our users we strive to uphold the core values of the college which focuses on quality, collegiality, teamwork, accountability, professionalism, integrity, patriotism, dynamism, innovation and transparency.
The library boasts of a print book stock of numerous volumes spread across all the campuses whose bibliographic details can be accessed by staff and students in all the campuses via online public access catalogue (OPAC). To cater for divers information seeking behaviors of our library users while putting into cognizant the ever growing student and staff numbers and different learning mode e.g. e-Learning, the library has subscribed to electronic journals and over 10,000 electronic books which are available to our users through the internet and are accessible for use at one’s own convenience.
To create awareness of the resources available to enable users make full use of them, the library organizes orientation days for any new library user which is usually beefed up by conducting continuous user education. I therefore call upon all bonafide library users to dedicate time and make effort to visit our library in order to benefit from the wealth of information resources available in various formats since it has been noted that some students complete their studies without ever visiting the library, hence missing out on vital information resources relevant to their study and/ or research disciplines and perhaps some who may be asking of the importance of a library, I wish to share the sentiments made by Jon Bing as published in May 28, 2009 (American Libraries Magazine) that says “ To ask why we need libraries at all, when there is so much information available elsewhere, is about as sensible as asking if roadmaps are necessary now that there are so very many roads”. I look forward to interacting with you in the library, through our email provided on our website and our available social media platforms.
Brief description of the library
TSMHS Library system comprises of the main college library Thika campus with the following branches: Nairobi Campus library, Kitui Campus library, Mombasa Campus Library, Kisumu Campus Library
We have automated its services using KOHA integrated library management system. The Library offers the following services i.e. Circulation services, Electronic information services, Information Literacy skills, Reading space, Binding services and Photocopying services.
To create an information system based on state of the art technology to promote scholarship.
To acquire and provide access to information resources in all formats for teaching, learning, research and innovation
Monday – Friday 8.00 AM – 7.00 PM
Saturday 9.00 AM – 3.00 PM
Sunday & Public Holidays Closed
LIBRARY RULES AND REGULATIONS
These rules are to assist library clients in appropriate utilization of library holding and facilities effectively. Kindly adhere to them.
1. Opening and closing hours
Monday Friday: 8.00am – 7.00 pm
Weekends Saturday: 9.00am – 3.00pm
2. All students and lecturers have a privilege to access the information materials in the library.
3. Silence must be observed always within the library.
4. Stealing of library holdings is a criminal offence. Clients found in possession of the same shall be prohibited from using the library.
5. Every user of the library shall not be allowed into the library with their bags, overcoats and umbrellas.
6. Smoking is prohibited in and within the library precincts.
7. Food and drinks are not allowed inside the library.
8. Please do not litter, use the available waste bins.
9. No mishandling of library materials (defacing, highlighting writing or folding library books).
10. Every user is only allowed to borrow a maximum of one book at a time; books on short loan shall be issued on a 24 hours basic strictly. Long loan issue shall take four days.
11. Overdue books shall attract a fee of Kshs. 10 for every day delayed.
12. Library materials issued to any library user shall be expected in the order they were issued to them. Any damages shall be levied to the subsequent borrower to facilitate repair of replacement depending on the extent of the damage/mutilation.
13. Please, put your phones on vibration to avoid disturbance.
14. Appropriate action including legal measures shall be taken against anyone who fails to observe the above rules.