Academics are an important part of each student’s in life, most likely in college and university. It acts as the final destiny of the student’s profession in life. In this case, students tend to believe in studying more and playing less in pursuit of their goal.
However, there is another more playful component of a well rounded education outside the regular academic program that may positively impact students success, extra curricular activities e.g. sports, drama, music, information communication clubs, debate, and many more can round out students academic career to greater effects.
An extracurricular activity is a great way and fun to socialize with peers It enhances effective student time and stress management skills, improving overall productivity, and It also increases the candidate’s appeal and confidence when marketing fro a job.
Variety of studies conducted shows students having participated in extra curricular activity have higher academic scores, they have learned to manage time, stress and strive for excellence in more than one thing e.g. in sports, students learn to work as a team to win. This has enabled them to learn and work as a team in academic group works.
Drama and music has also helped the students learn to express themselves confidently on stage performances’, hence making it easy for the students to express themselves efficiently and confidently in interviews. Drama and music has also been noted to be contributing to improve the communication skills which is mandatory in life.
Overall, students of the Thika School of Medical and Health Sciences are always advised and encouraged to participate in extra curricular activities so as to improve academically, life skills, discipline, goal setting, teamwork, accountability and responsibility.
Types of extra curricular activities present in Thika School of Medical and health sciences
1. Music and drama club
This involves students participating in our ministry of education Kenya schools, colleges and universities music and drama festivals. 1st term being drama festivals while 2nd term we prepare for music festivals.
In the year 2016 we participated for the 1st time in the drama festivals in Abadare region and National festivals held in Meru. We managed to scoop various awards as from the region level to the national level.
Drama regional level (Abadare region)
– Winning play 2016 TSMHS
– Best producer TSMHS Epaphras Ndei (Principal TSMHS)
– Best Director TSMHS
– Best actor TSMHS
– 2nd runners up
– Winning Solo*
– Winning narrative
– Best narrator
2. Nutrition club
– Formed mostly by and for nutrition students in the college advocating for eating good meals for good health staying healthy to the society.
3. ICT (Information Communication and Technology) club
– The club involves advancing the students with the latest technology in ICT, free to willing students to join.
4. Peer counseling club
– This club trains the students in having basic counseling skills which enables them promote peer to peer counseling to their colleagues in educating on reproductive health issues and drugs and substance abuse prevention in school/college which seems to be the most challenging to the youths of today
5. Environmental club
– The club enhances and promotes the students to be ambassadors of protecting the environment in our society for the coming generation.
6. Red cross club
– This is an internationally recognized club. The students are trained by red-cross regional team to be official members of the society. The trainings received are; – the first Aid and fire fighting skills
– The students are trained to volunteer in serves to the less fortunate in the society in times of unexpected calamities after they are issued with acknowledgment certificates boosting student’s resumes.
We have different sports in our school e.g.:
8. Science club
– This club promotes science innovation; it is mostly registered with science students. The student organizes forums to challenge themselves in latest science discoveries.