DIPLOMA IN APPLIED BIOLOGY
This course is aimed at providing the trainee with knowledge and skills in biological skills and their application i.e.
- Physiological applications on living organisms
- Understanding the routines of a medical and industrial microbiology laboratory
- Mastering of parasitological and immunological techniques in a laboratory.
- Observe safety measures in biological laboratory
- Prepare accurate laboratory reports as well as supervisory laboratory work.
- Apply the acquired knowledge and skills in performing various biological techniques including application of drugs in diagnosis and caring of certain diseases. Understanding poisons and their applications in the field of medicine. How poisoning is controlled/cured.
- Understanding plants and animals in terms of their breeding, care, diseases infecting them
- Understanding the general ecological interrelationship of organisms
Trainees wishing to pursue this course should have any of the following minimum requirements.
- Passed Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) with minimum grade of C- and in addition a minimum grade of C- in each of the following subjects: English, Mathematics, Biology or Biology Science, Chemistry or physical sciences.
- Passed a relevant craft course
- Any other equivalent qualifications approved by the Kenya National Examination Council
DURATION -6 Trimesters (two years)
Kenya National Examination Council will offer external examinations
Internal examinations will be conducted by the institution
EXPECTED WORKING FIELD
After the institution and the Kenya National examination Council are satisfied with the performance of the student, he or she may apply for a job in the following areas;
- Medical research institutions
- Pharmaceutical industries
- Quality Assurance Institutions e.g. Kenya Bureau of Standards.
- Production industries
- Agricultural research institutions e.g. KARI, ICraf,/ ILRI,KEFRI,KETRI,KEVEVAPI etc
- Institute of primate research – Microbiology/ immunology/Pharmacology & toxicology laboratories.
- University/college laboratories as a laboratory technologist.
NB: A diploma holder student may proceed to a degree level in any of the following related courses.
- Bsc – Biochemistry
- Bsc – Microbiology – general/medical
- Bsc – Immunology/Parasitology
- Bsc – Medical Laboratory Sciences etc.
After that you pursue a Master’s of Science degree in any area of biological sciences